Monday, May 5, 2014

Ready to plant the Community Plot

I could get into my 20 x 20 foot Community Patch as of May 1, however my teaching schedule made that date not work for me.  The weather did not cooperate either as May 1 was cold and blustery.

I knew others would be able to get into the gardens before I could so I stopped over the day before to string off my space and mark a few places where I was going to plant seeds and plants.  Over the weekend I when plant shopping. Here is what I purchased:

  •  Peppers: Jalapeno and Pablano
  •  Tomatoes: Grape Tomatoes, Sweet 100, Mortgage Lifter and heirloom Tomato plants: Pineapple and Cherokee Purple
  •  Cucumbers: Burpless and Salad Bush
  •  Salad Greens: bib lettuce, arugula, red leaf lettuce, red stem sorrel, giant red mustard
  •  Broccoli                                                
  •  Acorn squash
  •  “Brilliant” Root Celery
  •  Yellow Sweet Spanish Onions
  •  Herbs: lemon balm, spearmint, lemon grass, bronze and green fennel, spicy globe basil, lemon basil, sweet basil, sunset hyssop, many varieties of thyme, tricolor sage, oregano,

The weather is going to be warm this week, so I have decided since the last frost free day is between May 10 and May 15 depending on who you listen to, that I will plant the bulk of the perennial herbs and some cold hearty herbs and vegetables as well as a number of seeds on May 9th.  I may save the tomatoes, cucumbers, and basil until the following week.

This was the originally garden plan I created while working with my books.  I got so caught up in placing things I forgot to pay attention to scale:

 
one square = 1 foot (it was seeing 6 feet of lettuce that I realized my mistake!)

This is what I finally decided on, the spacing is much more accurate and I left myself enough spaces for late additions and whimsey!
scale 1 square=1 foot (now the greens includes more than lettuce!)
I will detail the plot and the plants placed with close up shots after they go in.  This garden is going to have lots of items to can, dry, preserve and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment