Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Volunteers in the Community Patch - Transplanting

I was exploring the edges of my 20 x 20 garden the last time I visited and noticed several plants had taken root that I did not put here.  When I raked the soil to prepare to plant I noticed there were many tomato seedlings.  I was expecting this.


Any tomato that falls from the vine at the end of the season can leave seeds that will germinate into plants the nest year.  I did not want to risk that these were viable plants that could produce fruit (most don't) so I did not save any of those tomato volunteers when I found them.

However, the onions  (leeks) and Spearmint that I found I decided to nurture.

These I left at the corner of the garden, since relocating onions is usually disastrous, I did not want to risk that with these.
The spearmint was was on the edge of the path in the middle of the garden, so I thought it might get trampled and needed to be relocated.  I dug out out with the shovel.


Then I dug a hole where I wanted it (in the herb bed) the slightly bigger than the shovel.  I placed water and compost in the hole.

Then placed the plant in the hole, loosening the dirt around the roots just a bit.  Then a give it a good watering after firming the soil around the plant.  The key with transplanting is to take enough of the soil from the original location so that you are not tearing or damaging the roots of the plant.  They will be less shocked by the move if they travel with roots and original soil intact.

Spearmint in its new home next to the tarragon.  I guess I am assuming the tarragon will not grow much this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment